Makes 2 Loaves
1 Pkg. Active Dry Yeast
1 ½ Cups Lukewarm Water
3 Tbsp. Melted Crisco
2 Tbsp. Sugar
1 ½ Tsp. Salt
½ Cup Buttermilk
6 ½ – 7 Cups Regular Flour
- Soften yeast in lukewarm water for 5 minutes; stir until blended.
- Stir in Crisco, sugar, salt, and buttermilk.
- Add 6 ½ Cups flour, 1 cup at a time; beat well after each addition.
- Turn onto lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes, until dough is smooth and satiny.
- If necessary, work in another ½ cup flour.
- Shape dough into a ball and place in a large in a large, lightly greased bowl.
- Cover and let dough rise until double in bulk, about 1 ½ hours.
- Punch down dough; cover and let rise again until double in bulk.
- Punch down dough and turn onto floured surface.
- Knead slightly to remove air bubbles.
- Divide a greased cookie sheet.
- Cover and let rise until double in bulk.
- At about the halfway point in the last rising, make three diagonal slashes about ¼ inch deep in the top of each loaf.
Bake at 400° for about 35 minutes, then at 350° for about 15 minutes longer.
- 100% Whole Wheat Bread | Conquering the Yeast (confusioncook.com)
- How to bake perfect white bread at home (spicerack.wordpress.com)
- Verdict is in on the Irish Soda Breads (whenlifegivesyouchocolate.com)
- Of healthy breakfast and a ‘Rye’ full of bliss (spicerack.wordpress.com)
- Dill and Kefir Bread (greedytastebuds.wordpress.com)
- Homemade Honey Flax Bread (foodforfamilyfoodforlife.wordpress.com)
- Irish Soda Bread (vineoflife.net)
- le pain. (thealligatorandthepear.wordpress.com)
- Go Green Take Two: Irish Soda Bread (darlenebeckjacobson.wordpress.com)
- Liège Waffles: Starring Belgian Pearl Sugar (formaggiokitchen.com)